Mindfulness: It’s about being present; not in the future, not in the past, but being fully aware in the moment. Sounds nice, but how do you do it? Here are a few tips to focus on – right now:
- Notice your breathing. Fast? Slow? Notice the rise and fall of a breath. Imagine a sleeping baby as its stomach rises and falls.
- Notice sights, sounds, tastes, smells, colors, temperature, textures.
- Notice how each step feels. What do the bottoms of your feet feel like? What surrounds you? Notice the little details you rarely pay attention to.
- Try not to over-schedule, and just notice what it’s like to be, not do.
- They come and go. Often intensely, for some, but they are just thoughts. Notice them as they flow. Notice how your mind likes to judge. Notice that it’s just a thought and let it go.
- Listen more closely. Maybe, talk less. Notice what is or is not being said.
- Pay attention. Put your attention on what you are doing. Notice the actions, your attention, or lack thereof. Mindfulness is about being fully engaged in the now rather than making future plans.